It’s almost that time of year again when we start making floury clouds in the kitchen and twirling pancakes in the air. We were so excited about pancake day here at Twinklesteps that we have developed our own Twinklesteps pancake recipe for you with a special ballet twist. The fact that ballerinas wear ‘Pancake Tutus’ inspired us to have a go at making our own edible ones! Scroll down to see our creative take on the classic lemon and sugar pancake…
Twinklesteps Pancake Tutu Recipe
110g/4oz plain flour
200ml/7 fl oz milk mixed with 75ml/3 fl oz water
Icing sugar, lemon slices
1) Sift the flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs incorporating flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do so.
2) Add small quantities of the milk and water mix and whisk until smooth.
3) Melt the butter and spoon 2 tbsp into the batter and whisk in. Use the rest for frying.
4) Heat some butter in the frying pan and spoon enough batter to cover the base. Cook both sides of the pancake until golden brown.
5) Cut a circle of paper about the same size as the base of your frying pan. Fold it in half, quarters then eighths. Cut out shapes to design your pancake tutu template.
6) Lay the template over your freshly cooked pancake. Sieve icing sugar over the top and lay a slice of lemon in the middle. Voila! You are the proud creator of a pancake tutu – enjoy!
Happy pancake day from the Twinklesteps team and have fun with the kids getting creative with your pancakes. If you want to get pancake tutu inspiration, check out our pinterest board. If you’d like your very own sparkly Twinklesteps tutu visit our shop.